Re: [Swarm-Support] Help getting started

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Help getting started
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 14:43:15 -0600

Hi,
what I meant was that it doesn't matter what application achive I download, cygwin doesn't locate it and just gives me the error. It could just be I'm not saving the archive to the correct location on my computer, hence my question. Where does the app. archive need to be for cgywin to locate it?
A shell running with Cygwin has a notion of a current directory. To see where that is, you can run the command:

 cygpath -w `pwd`

..or simply

 pwd

To explain the difference, first note that Cygwin is a software package that aims to is provide a Unix like environment. Unix doesn't use backslashes for directory separators, like on Windows, nor does it have a notion of `drives'. Conversely, Windows doesn't have a notion of root filesystem. A windows path like "X:\" maps to a path like "/cygdrive/X" in Cygwin, where "X" is a Windows drive, typically "C". Further, there are `mounts' to make various Windows drives look like they live as a part of a single filesystem. Type "mount" to see what those are on your Cygwin install

The filename you give to `tar' should be the .tar.gz file you download, in the current directory as reported above, or else a full Unix-style path, of the kind reported by `pwd' as opposed to the kind reported by the first command. For example, if you downloaded to a Windows XP Desktop, something like:

tar xzf /cygdrive/c/Documents And Settings/yourName/<filename>

Which will unpack filename into your current directory (again as reported by `pwd').

Marcus