tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] Autosend feature - first tests

From: Thomas Beierlein
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] Autosend feature - first tests
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 07:14:05 +0100

Hi Martin,

Am Tue, 12 Nov 2013 11:05:42 +0100
schrieb Martin Kratoska <address@hidden>:

> Hi Tom et al,
>
> Dne 12.11.2013 10:07, Thomas Beierlein napsal(a):
> > Hi Martin,
> >
> > Am Tue, 12 Nov 2013 00:33:09 +0100
> > schrieb Martin Kratoska <address@hidden>:
> >> there is something strange. tlf does not see now hamlib, so no
> >> radio control :-(
> >>
> > Maybe you forgot the '--enable-hamlib' in the ./configure stage?
>
> Of course. Dumb me. A senior moment, apologies.

Never mind. I know such moments myself :-).

> >> The Autosend option works but not exactly as meant. The auto
> >> sending begins with the character count as set with :char command,
> >> this is OK. Setting :char to 4 actually moves the cursor to the
> >> exchange field while tlf is sending 2nd character.
> >
> > That depends a little on your typing speed. But you are right. It
> > moves to the exchange field as soon as you stop typing.
> >
> > The reason for this behavior is that we can not do the same
> > handling as in TRLog. As TRLog sends the CW characters itself
> > (integrated keyer) it knows exactly how far it is with sending the
> > already typed in characters and when it catches your typing.
>
> OK, I know, it is very hard task if tlf does use an external device.
> My setup includes the K1EL's Winkey USB (the obsolete ver. 2.2) and
> the Winkeyer daemon by OK2CQR
> http://www.cqrlog.com/?q=node/149
>
> (BTW what about integration of Winkey USB support into tlf code? This
> excellent keyer is widely used among contesters/DXers using Windoze
> software, it has also dual output/PTT facility making SO2R easier.
> The PTT output not tested here yet because my K3 with KPA500 has
> excellent QSK properties and absolutely trouble-free T/R switching).

Hmm. As far as i know the interface (via unix socket) is the same as for
cwdaemon. What are the advantages of an integrated winkeyer daemon?
Don't get me wrong - I am not against the idea, but want to have some
idea about pro and con of that solution.

He wrote shortly in the thread about it. Here is the link he gave:
http://g4kno.com/software_it/jWinkeyServer/jWinkeyServer.html

> > Any ideas how to come around that are welcome.
> >
> Now, after some 3 hours of thorough testing at speeds varying fron 18
> to 45 WPM I am pretty sure that my other thoughts were false and
> over-complicated. The main fact is that the typing speed is almost
> constant, independent of the keying speed. Again, the timeout of 0.7s
> is just fine.
>
> The Autosend option now seems solved, at least for me.

Ok. So we have a first working solution.
Fred mentioned a configurable timeout (I am not sure if it is needed,
but let us see). There is another idea I want to try out, but I do not
know when there will be time for it.

So I think I will merge the autosend feature in the master branch and
make it default.

> >> Therefore the op has not
> >> time till 4th character is finished, here I have time actually only
> >> till 1st character is completed.
> >
> > Not quite. As described above you have 0.7 seconds for each
> > character you want to type.
> >
> > 73, de Tom DL1JBE
>
> BTW many thanks for another very good version, Tom! Excellent work!

Yw.

73, de Tom DL1JBE.

--
"Do what is needful!"