Re: Exporting Hyperlinks ?

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Exporting Hyperlinks ?
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2023 09:37:59 +0000

David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:

>>> [[file:test.pdf::#anchor][Another document]]
>>>    -> \href{test.pdf\#anchor}{Another document}
>>
>> AFAIK, this kind of URL cannot be opened except when opening pdf in
>> browser.
>
> What else is there?  PDFviewer?  What is the standard for Latex?

Yes, PDFviewer.
AFAIU, it is only possible to refer to a specific page:
\href[page=X]{test.pdf}
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/675130/open-an-external-pdf-file-on-a-specific-page

>>> [[file:test.org::#anchor][Another document]]
>>> Either for xr-hyper
>>>   -> Another document \ref{f1-orgabc123}
>>> with \label{orgabc123} in test.tex
>>> or with redefined \label to generate additional \hypertarget
>>>   -> \href{test.pdf\#anchor}{Another document}
>>
>> And this does not fit into single-document exports. We must export
>> multiple files via ox-publish. ...and ox-publish does not support pdf
>> export.
>
> org-latex-publish-to-pdf ??  Oh, you mean that it has to go through
> Latex to get to PDF.

I mean that ox-publish is mostly polished for html publishing.
While it is technically possible to publish with other export backends,
I expect many rough edges there.

In particular, `org-latex-publish-to-pdf' in ox-latex has no special
arrangement to support pdf cross-references. There is even no conversion
from .org references to .pdf references as .org -> .html in ox-html.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,