Re: Suggestion: User-contributed use-cases on orgmode.org ?

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: Suggestion: User-contributed use-cases on orgmode.org ?
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 18:56:47 -0800

Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 14, 2023 at 8:16 PM David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> writes:

>> > [...]
>> >
>> > Specifically there is
>> > https://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html
>> > "Org ad hoc code, quick hacks and workarounds"
>> > page. No tags however. To my taste it is overwhelmingly large.
>>
>> Perhaps a Wiki would be better?
>>

> WORG is the Wiki for Org, or perhaps I'm not sure what you mean:
> better than what?

Something that could be updated by the public (safely).

> Patches to WORG don't require assignment, btw.

Good point!

> Please do suggest significant restructuring. I think your organizing
> things more in terms of use-cases could be something that will make
> WORG more of a "first choice" for people to find and leave suggestions
> for getting the most from org.

My first reading of WORG (since restructuring) missed a lot. I now see
the idea of using git via sourcehut.  Git may not be as simple as an
open edit wiki, but it probably provides more tools for tracking.

In worg-about, it looks like the repo is ~bzg/worg on src.ht, but "worg"
doesn't come up in the project search on src.ht (but "org" does).  Is
the repo hidden (I don't have an account on src.ht yet -- perhaps
sourcehut should be explained a bit in worg-about).

> Alternatively, perhaps the key element of "wiki" for some is "web
> accessible editing", in which case I wonder if using EmacsWiki would
> make sense.

Duh! Why did I forget about EmacsWiki?!?  Web accessible editing is a
plus to allow organic growth to the wiki -- as long as some rules are
followed. Wikis allow easy undoing of page edits (if necessary) and (I
think) locking pages to be edited only by a few people (creator/admins).
There could be a talk page for suggesting additions to a use-case to
make it more flexible which the use-creator creator could test and
incoporate into the use-case (or just tag it as interesting).

The key thing, though, will be making snippets of elisp code easily
available for people to cut and paste into their own .emacs file.

I haveto look at WORG and EmacsWiki some more.

--
David Masterson