Re: Suggestion: User-contributed use-cases on orgmode.org ?

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: Suggestion: User-contributed use-cases on orgmode.org ?
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 21:13:33 -0800

> David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> In worg-about, it looks like the repo is ~bzg/worg on src.ht, but "worg"
>> doesn't come up in the project search on src.ht (but "org" does).  Is
>> the repo hidden (I don't have an account on src.ht yet -- perhaps
>> sourcehut should be explained a bit in worg-about).
>
> May you please provide more details?

I'll try.

> Do you refer to <https://orgmode.org/worg/worg-about.html>?

Yes.

> FYI, WORG is listed in "Repositories" right at https://sr.ht/~bzg/org/

I see no mention of "~bzg/org" in worg-about.  I think my lack of
experience for many years is showing -- I didn't think to click on the
~bzg/worg link which would've told me about ~bzg/org.  I assumed the
link was just telling me what to put on 'git clone'.  Perhaps that
should be explained a little more in worg-about.

What I did was go to sr.ht to see what it looked like and maybe sign up
for an account.  I followed the "More Projects" link and searched for
"~bzg/worg", but nothing came up.  However, searching for "org" did
bring up "~bzg/org".  Being out of practice, I was confused.

>>> Alternatively, perhaps the key element of "wiki" for some is "web
>>> accessible editing", in which case I wonder if using EmacsWiki would
>>> make sense.
>>
>> Duh! Why did I forget about EmacsWiki?!?  Web accessible editing is a
>> plus to allow organic growth to the wiki -- as long as some rules are
>> followed. Wikis allow easy undoing of page edits (if necessary) and (I
>> think) locking pages to be edited only by a few people (creator/admins).
>> There could be a talk page for suggesting additions to a use-case to
>> make it more flexible which the use-creator creator could test and
>> incoporate into the use-case (or just tag it as interesting).
>
> Currently, we prefer all the discussions, including discussions of WORG
> pages, to happen on this mailing list.

And I'm beginning to warm to WORG's approach.  I used FosWiki a long
time ago which is different.

> One interesting idea could be showing the comment threads right on the
> WORG pages, similar to
> https://isso-comments.de/
> https://staticman.net/
> https://meta.discourse.org/t/embed-discourse-comments-on-another-website-via-javascript/31963
> https://amnesiak.org/post/2021/01/30/hugo-blog-with-mastodon-comments-extended/

These each look interesting.

> Or we might consider https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/woof to automatically update
> WORG pages for appropriately marked mailing list threads.

Hmm. That sounds most interesting becuase it command line driven.
Perhaps a new mailing list should be created for this?

--
David Masterson