smallcaps: Re: Experimental public branch for inline special blocks

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: smallcaps: Re: Experimental public branch for inline special blocks
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 23:47:32 +0700

On 02/03/2024 03:34, Juan Manuel Macías wrote:
│ Caesar's famous quote: &latin![:smallcaps t :color blue]{Alea iacta est}
==> LaTeX:
│ Caesar's famous quote:
{\scshape{}\color{blue}\foreignlanguage{latin}{\textit{Alea iacta est}}}
== HTML:
│ Caesar's famous quote: <em style="color:blue;font-variant:small-caps;" lang="la"
class="latin">Alea iacta est</em>

I am in doubts if smallcaps should be hardcoded. From my point of view, current implementation is unnecessary rigid. In this particular example :smallcaps is an ad-hoc property. I would expect its usage through an alias definition, e.g.

If some type is used through the document multiple times then it is better to avoid style="font-variant:small-caps" and use a CSS class instead. Even for LaTeX it may be better to define a dedicated command to be closer to semantic markup.

Moreover different decorations may be used in LaTeX and HTML. Some type may be typed in small caps in LaTeX, but in HTML it may use regular font and some color.

Perhaps an e.g. user-configurable and extensible alist of types with per-backend properties should be used instead.

A portion of wisdom how to represent small caps for each export backend may be handy, but accessing it should be more flexible.