Re: smallcaps: Re: Experimental public branch for inline special blocks

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: smallcaps: Re: Experimental public branch for inline special blocks
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2024 17:28:57 +0000

Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> escribió:

> If some type is used through the document multiple times then it is
> better to avoid style="font-variant:small-caps" and use a CSS class
> instead. Even for LaTeX it may be better to define a dedicated command
> to be closer to semantic markup.
>
> Moreover different decorations may be used in LaTeX and HTML. Some type
> may be typed in small caps in LaTeX, but in HTML it may use regular font
> and some color.

The "global attribute" concept implies that there should be (ideally)
the same result in all possible backends (naturally, if the output is
plain text, :color doesn't make much sense). Global attributes are a
quick and easy (for the user) way to create direct formatting, analogous
to the LaTeX commands \textcolor, \textsc, etc. Its casual use is the
most recommended, in my opinion. Let's imagine that a user wants to
color segments of text, in the same color, for LaTeX and odt, and does
not want to bother with predefined styles or macros in odt and LaTeX
respectively.

If a segment of text must have a different appearance, for example, in
LaTeX (small caps) and HTML (red color), you can put:

&_[:html style="color:red;" :prelatex \scshape{}]{text}

And if one wants to have more robust control, for example because many
text segments must have a certain treatment in HTML, odt or LaTeX,
styles, classes and macros can always be defined in the output format.
Additionally, there are the :odt-style, :latex-command, :html-tag and
:html-class attributes to override what is necessary. What's more, in
specific cases global attributes can be added.

I think that the current implementation is very flexible and gives rise
to many possible variations, and the combination of direct formatting
and styles to suit the user.

--
Juan Manuel Macías -- Composición tipográfica, tratamiento de datos, diseño
editorial y ortotipografía