Re: [Worg] CSS improvements

From: Adam Porter
Subject: Re: [Worg] CSS improvements
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 09:09:02 -0500

On 3/24/24 03:56, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> writes:

I am not sure if centered text should stand out.
AFAIU, you want to add this style for the sole purpose of highlighting

What is the purpose of centering text if not to make it stand out?

To align text. I am not sure why anything more is necessary - it
is certainly counter-intuitive for me that "center" means something more
than just alignment.

Again, what is the purpose of centering text? The answer, "To align text," is tautological.

Especially, on Worg, where the whole site serves as a kind of extended user manual, the purpose of centering text is, what, if not to make it stand out?

If you need extra highlighting, we may introduce a dedicated style and
apply it via special block.

Why, when we already have #+begin_center? Currently it's not even used at all. This would not change anything that already exists; it would make something that already exists useful.

Mostly because it is unexpected, as I described above.
I'd prefer to stick closer to the semantics and just apply alignment to
center blocks.

*shrug* Worg has existed for years without even doing anything with #+begin_center blocks--not even centering them. I propose that we make it useful and serve its natural purpose, rather than adding a special new block that most users won't even know about (having to find it in the voluminous Worg content isn't likely to happen for most users).