Re: [Worg] CSS improvements

From: Adam Porter
Subject: Re: [Worg] CSS improvements
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 07:41:45 -0500

On 3/28/24 06:44, Ihor Radchenko wrote:

So I would still suggest that, on Worg, we use my suggested styling
on #+begin_center blocks.  This would make them useful and fulfill
their natural purpose.

I think that we have a principal disagreement here. For me,
highlighting #+begin_center blocks is extremely unnatural. I would
never expect that, and I would be extremely surprised by that.

It's a mild background color fitting with the theme of the Worg site.

And as I've said, centering has not even had any effect up til now.  So
I don't think it's a big deal.

Since Worg is updated with relatively low frequency, anyway,
perhaps this suggestion could be tried as an experiment.  If
problems are found with it, then the extra styling, beyond merely
centering the text, could be reverted.  Nothing is permanent here;
we've probably spilled more virtual ink on this topic than would be
affected by the change.

I am mostly worried about future effect. We will not have any
problems with it in the near future, because the only user of this
style will be your new WORG page.

I don't know what there is to worry about. If someone centers some text on a Worg page to make it stand out, it would...stand out? :)

Anyway, if this idea is vetoed, it would still be good to have some
way to make text stand out in a standard way, similar to various
HTML documentation styles in other projects (to avoid resorting to
inline HTML).  It seems like a missing feature on Worg.

Agree.

And the other changes in the patch would be good to have,
regardless.

Yup.

I guess we can make this into a poll... (I have no better ideas on
how to resolve the disagreement)

I think that's unnecessary.  Worg isn't a democracy, after all.  If you
are vetoing the idea, then let it be vetoed, and let us move on with the rest of the proposed changes. I'll go ahead and push them, without the background color.

Thanks,
Adam