pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] The Blue Sky Becomes Clear - part 01: Basic Thoughts -

From: Evan Martin
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] The Blue Sky Becomes Clear - part 01: Basic Thoughts - revision 00
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 21:44:14 -0800

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 03:50:36PM -0700, Duncan wrote:
> I'd argue that your statement about Linux is incorrect.  This isn't MSWormOS.
>
> We aren't stuck with some limited choice of proprietary fs formats.  There
> are all sorts of fs formats to meet all sorts of different needs.  In this
> case, ReiserFS is a perfect choice, since it deals with small files, or
> "tails" of large files, by tucking them directly into the fs structure,
> packing them together with the directory meta-data.

Requiring ReiserFS for reasonable not only limits Pan to non-Windows.
It limits pan to Linux (unless my Google queries misled me).

There are many benefits of maildir, but (what I assume the) importance
difference with news is that you typically have more posts ("mail") per
group ("mailbox").  That is where maildir breaks down; indexing many
files is much slower than indexing a few.
Yet rewriting a huge mbox-style file everytime there's a change is
likely very slow, too.

--
      Evan Martin
address@hidden