pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] The Blue Sky Becomes Clear - part 01: Basic Thoughts -

From: Haran Shivanan
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] The Blue Sky Becomes Clear - part 01: Basic Thoughts - revision 00
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 22:25:24 +0530 (IST)

Module 'Evan Martin' core dumped on Thu, 3 Apr 2003 with the following output

> Requiring ReiserFS for reasonable not only limits Pan to non-Windows.
> It limits pan to Linux (unless my Google queries misled me).
That too, only if you're administering the machine you work on.
(Or can actually make file system requests to the sys admin)

> There are many benefits of maildir, but (what I assume the) importance
> difference with news is that you typically have more posts ("mail") per
> group ("mailbox").  That is where maildir breaks down; indexing many
> files is much slower than indexing a few.
> Yet rewriting a huge mbox-style file everytime there's a change is
> likely very slow, too.
Yeah, my only problem with the current format was that it seemed to be
making inefficient use of space (unless you use a fs as described
previosuly).
Ofcourse, for most people this is not a problem and storage is relatively
cheap so speed optimization always takes precedence over space
optimization...

--
All that shimmers in this world is sure to fade...