pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] The Blue Sky Becomes Clear - part 01: Basic Thoughts -

From: Rob
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] The Blue Sky Becomes Clear - part 01: Basic Thoughts - revision 00
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 10:20:18 -0500

On Thursday 03 April 2003 17:50, Duncan wrote:
> I'd argue that your statement about Linux is incorrect.  This isn't
> MSWormOS. We aren't stuck with some limited choice of proprietary fs
> formats.  There are all sorts of fs formats to meet all sorts of different
> needs.  In this case, ReiserFS is a perfect choice, since it deals with

That's great for a single user sitting at the console and running as
effectively root, but This isn't MSWormOS (tm)   Normal users on Linux
typically don't get to mount their filesystems of choice, even as loopback.

Yes, ext2/ext3 bogs down when you start getting a lot of inodes in one
directory.  Not as bad as the FAT variants but still pretty poor.
Nonetheless, it tends to be the "standard" and Pan is the sort of application
that appeals to users who aren't going to know enough (or even know how) to
reformat a partition with someone's pet filesystem, or even how to set up a
loopback file.

If enough people's performance is degraded because Pan stores its data in a
way that won't perform well on typical desktop installations, and if its
developers took your approach and said "j00 sux0rz, r31z0r r0x0rz" the
community's impression of Pan wouldn't become "Pan rocks, but I'm using a
crappy filesystem".  It would be "Pan is slow, its developers know it and
they don't want to do anything to fix it."

For my part, I was unaware that Pan stored cached articles individually; this
gives me hope that I'll be able to hack "Keep this article forever"
functionality into Pan somehow, maybe the last remaining desirable feature
from Agent that Pan's never had.  (Pan used to have Launch Attachments and
that's currently MIA, but that's also easier to fix for us KDE users by
sticking "kfmclient exec" in there. ;) )

Rob