pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] The Blue Sky Becomes Clear - part 01: Basic Thoughts -

From: Haran Shivanan
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] The Blue Sky Becomes Clear - part 01: Basic Thoughts - revision 00
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 10:31:44 +0530 (IST)

Module 'Duncan' core dumped on Sat, 5 Apr 2003 with the following output

> (Features that I'd personally consider necessary b4 PAN is ready for a
> head2head comparison include 1) 100K+ post group handling w/o bogging down to
> where it looks frozen, 2) attachment posting, if not automated batch mode
> newsgroup features a la BNR2, and perhaps batch posting, as well as a
> standards based open database format, that is compatible with say MySQL.
> With such a database, the ability to keep posts forever if desired, and

Wouldn't a database be overkill for people that have less than 100K+
posts?
On that note, what is the typical usage of a newsreader?
Do typical users keep a lot of posts?
I was under the impression that Google Groups had made the need for this
unnecessary but I could be wrong.
FWIW, I personally store less than 500 posts in a newsgroup. Even that is
on the high side.

--
India and Pakistan may be the next countries to use nukes in war
but no one should forget who was first! "USA!, USA!, USA!"