pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] The Blue Sky Becomes Clear - part 01: Basic Thoughts -

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] The Blue Sky Becomes Clear - part 01: Basic Thoughts - revision 00
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 10:09:59 -0700

On Sat 05 Apr 2003 22:01, Haran Shivanan posted as excerpted below:
> Wouldn't a database be overkill for people that have less than 100K+
> posts?
> On that note, what is the typical usage of a newsreader?
> Do typical users keep a lot of posts?
> I was under the impression that Google Groups had made the need for this
> unnecessary but I could be wrong.
> FWIW, I personally store less than 500 posts in a newsgroup. Even that is
> on the high side.

Google Groups only archives public groups..  Many ISPs and NSPs have
non-publicly distributed private groups, and some users find it useful to
have archives of said groups going back quite some time.  Of course, a few
users just want the convenience of having the archive entirely local, and
find it's actually quite possible now days, with disk sizes what they are,
provided they stick to a limited number of text groups of less than
"super-crazy" activity levels, of course, providing they use a reader that
will accomodate that desire..

As for the db, most readers including PAN already use some form of db to
manage the various groups, and tracking message status, etc.  From previous
discussions, major features such as virtual server and virtual newsgroup
management, where the same group can be tracked in the background on several
servers (virtual server) and/or several physical groups can be combined into
a single logical group (virtual newsgroups), all transparent to the user,
cannot be so easily implemented until PAN gets a more robust db system in
place.  This has tentatively been penciled in either b4 1.0, or after 1.0,
for what would then become 2.0.  As so far discussed, it would probably be
implemented with the SQLLite libraries, just as PAN now implements its
internet connections using the gnet library.  Again, just as the gnet library
brought additional features for comparitively little additional coding, so
would SQLLite.  One of the most interesting features, for those that might
wish to use it, would be the MySQL (IIRC) compatibility.  You are correct in
that the full features of MySQL are overkill for PAN, but given the stated
goal of becoming in the full featured sense a "Pimp-Ass Newsreader" second to
none, the SQLLite db transition will enable some pretty heavy duty features,
and the MySQL compatibility just happens to be a big bonus, for those wishing
to then use it for further management and tracking of news, and potentially
fully integrating ALL their binary media management and tracking needs, of
which PAN could then be potentially only one small piece.

Using SQLLite, a (from all accounts) fairly trimmed down library itself, to do
much of what PAN does on its own now, won't be all that MUCH overkill, even
if you continue to use PAN in a more traditional news client roll.  However,
it WILL give PAN the ability to scale and include some of these fancy
features, that are simply impractical, now, for those wishing to use them.
Consider that much of the code functionality now implemented in PAN itself
can then be handed off to the SQLLite library, and PAN the binary itself will
likely be smaller, initially after the switch to using SQLLite.  Of course,
adding all those features will bring it back up in size, but by offloading
the db management and other common functions to libraries, as it does now
with gnet for internet access, will mean the PAN code base itself remains
reasonably managable, even as it adds serious big-time features that would
otherwise bloat it beyond all control, recognition, and managability.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin