Re: [Adonthell-devel] How client/server deals with maps

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] How client/server deals with maps
Date: 12 Dec 2001 22:04:55 +0100

> >So all the stuff that can change it's state, be picked up or placed on the
> >map would remain on the server. If we then have a quest like "find
> >Nikodemus' wand in the crypt" the player might browse the crypt, but he
> >wouldn't get information on doors (that might be in the way), foes and
> >especially no info on the location of the wand.
> >
> >Another advantage of such a system would be that such item objects would
> >be handled as actual items (although not all of them can be picked up and
> >such). So for example all those items could have a description that
> >appears when the player hits space while facing them, just like James
> >suggested in the other mail.
> >
> >Would that work, Alex?
> >

> That looks good. :)

That looks good to me too. There is currently A LOT of stuff in my head
about the map issues. I've written most of them down and will complete
the specification soon (say, within the weekend) so you can have a look.
It seems to me that nice things could be possible, like having a
single-player game using only one thread and no client/server
communcation). Maybe even (I said MAYBE, so don't assume too fast :))
James' idea about adjacent maps that scared me so much would be
possible. MAYBE, eh? ;)