Re: [Adonthell-devel] How client/server deals with maps

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] How client/server deals with maps
Date: 12 Dec 2001 22:28:24 +0100

> Is it possible for me to be involved in the development of the new
> mapengine?
> If so, then what parts of the current mapengine will be reused?  (so i
> can familiarize myself with them).
> Also where would I be of use to you, I can help anywhere, just let me
> know. :)

Well, I usually like (as most people) to do medium works alone. But when
I'm talking about the mapengine, I'm referring to the map, character
representation and items representation. It'll probably work better if
we don't split the work for this part (and, anyway, it's the 3rd time I
rewrite the map engine, so I'm quite used to it now ;)). Of course, this
is not enough to be playable, as you can guess. There must be stuff
behind the map skeleton which is, finally, quite a limited part: real
characters that scripts like schedules or events can query (i.e. you can
push something if you are strong enough, and so on). All these stuff
will have a huge connectivity with the map engine, and I still had not
thought a lot about them (well, actually, no one really has I think :)).
So this would be a nice thing you could work on, I think. This time I
won't do the same error and the map framework will be widely documented,
starting by the specifications and implementation details I'll complete
this weekend. This will be a good base to start working on external
ideas.

The fact that I prefer working alone on this precise part doesn't mean
no one will have control on it: as always, before implementing stuff, we
submit them to the mailing list for discussion and approval. So everyone
has a word on everything, which is quite good. And of course, I never
scolded someone that got into my sources and fixed a few bugs or
improved a feature. :)

> I Played the game a fair amount yesterday and was quite impressed,
> although I couldn't get very far, I'm assuming that's because you
> _can't_ get very far?

Exact :) Note that the dialogues are huge enough to have fun for a
little hour, I'd say. Our writers (as well as the dialog engine
programmer ;)) have done a damn good work for this, I rarely saw such
variable and addicting dialogs in a game! (just played again this
evening. I find the game quite addictive, it'll probably have a good
place in Linux distributions)

> Heheh.  Well I'm going to try out the new stuff that Alex said is working.
> I'm not sure who fellenir is, but I did get a freeze up when i talked to
> a guy on the second floor of the inn. He didn't talk back, but I
> couldn't leave the room or do anything.  :\  hopefully that was the
> problem of just him not having a dialog.

That's it. Python didn't liked it and no other python script (including
teleport events) could be launched. You can get rid of this by compiling
with the --enable-py-debug option turned on during configure.