Re: [Adonthell-devel] Battle System

From: Ricardo Colon
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Battle System
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 19:42:51 -0500 (EST)

Joe, I'll read about your battle system as soon as I can, but I just
wanted to offer a few insights before I get back to doing work.

Personally, I like turn-based system much better, since you're given time
to think the battle through. Even though Grandia battle scheme is
turn-based, the battles are still "time-based", which that the timing of
your attack matters.

If you can create a real-time battle  system that amounts to more
than simply hack n' slash, I'd be happy. I have yet to see that. Fighting
monsters in Grandia feels like playing a game of chess. I think that's what
a battle should feel like.

Even with a real-time system, how are you going to deal with magic and
using items during battle. If you have to pause the battle every time in
order to bring up a menu to use magic and items, it might get annoying.
After all the battle should be real-time.

To answer the earlier question about Grandia, the battles are not done on
the map themselves. It cuts to a battle scene. However, you are able to
see your enemies in plain sight and avoid them if you managed to sneak by.
Also, if you sneak up from behind, you're given an advantage being on the
offensive immediately.

Ok. That's all.

                                        -- R: