Re: Global game design (Was: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Battle System)

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: Global game design (Was: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Battle System)
Date: 31 Jan 2002 16:09:18 +0100

> > Please tell what you think - I thought a lot about it and it seems to me
> > that it would perfectly work. But until I start programming it a bit, we
> > can't really know whether or not it's the best idea.
>
> I can see no flaws in it.

I forgot to mention one thing: as the world is independant of the
player, it can run with no precise scenario and the player can play
infinitely with no real goal. Terminus for example propose such a 'free'
mode where the NPCs just go on their business and you do too, trading,
hijacking, upgrading your ship, ... without any game end.

> However, does it mean that the server would run all the maps all the time?
> That would be a little performance problem, wouldn't it?

It could mean that the server will have to run all the maps where there
is action. Even this is a performance problem. But maybe we can update
periodically characters with a 'simplified' schedule that would only
update their internal state, without needing the map. There are several
possibilities, actually. We'll have ot discuss about them.

> If it just ran maps with player's on it, like the single player version
> would, it should be okay though.

That's the goal anyway - otherwise it wouldn't be usuable I fear :)