Re: Global game design (Was: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Battle System)

From: Ricardo Colon
Subject: Re: Global game design (Was: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Battle System)
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 14:18:58 -0500 (EST)

Another game that's good at creating a world where NPCs have their own
life is Shenmue for Dreamcast, which in some cases would be the ideal RPG even
though it's linear.

Shenmue is revolves around Ryo Hazuki, and the murder of his father(right
in front of Ryo's eyes). The murderer was a man named Lan Di. Your role in
the game is to investigate the matter and avenge your father(hopefully).

The game is a 3D RPG of sorts feels like an interactive movie. The
game's creator actually create a new classification for the game.
He describe the game systems as FREE (Full Reactive Eyes
Entertainment)

Shenmue: Chapter I(they're planning on having 16 chapters) takes place in
Ryo's hometown, Yokosuka. The story takes place in 1986. You figure out
clues by speaking to everyone(i.e. voice not text, unless you'd rather have it
the other way).
As you talk to more and more people, the story slowly unfolds.

It really feels as if you're place inside of a movie. It's always an
interesting game to watch, since it feels so cinematic. My dad, whose
never even played video games before liked watching me play and see the
story progress.

The best part about Shenmue is that you don't have to necessarily stick to
the plot. All of the NPCs work on their own schedule. Some NPCs like to
hangout at the park. Others walk around the shopping. Others stay home.
It really feels like you're living in a town with normal people that have
their own things to do.

Your character can also do more than just talking. You can go to the local
convenience store and buy some soda,potato chips,fried squid..whatever.
You can also call people to see what's up.

One cool feature is the game's sense of time. The stores in the shopping
district have their own house. Some are open all day. Others only at
night. Others are open all day.

The game does an amazing job of fully immersing yourself in its own world.
I've never seen any game like it. Personally, I don't think Shenmue could
have ever been a 2D title.

I don't necessarily think that this kind of detail would need to be added
to Adonthell.

I guess the question we'd need to ask ourselves is if we really want
players to be immersed in the NPCs world, and thus delay the resolution of
the main plot. In Shenmue, it's encouraged, but I'm not sure if this is
what we want.

Well, that's all I have to say.

                                                -- R: