Re: [Audio-video] [Liberté 0] Re: http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/ghm2

From: Armony ALTINIER
Subject: Re: [Audio-video] [Liberté 0] Re: http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/ghm2013/Samuel_Thibault_Jean-Philippe_Mengual-Freedom_0_for_everybody_really_.text
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 11:03:46 +0200

Dear Luca,

Hello.

On 2014-07-18 at 21:03, Armony ALTINIER wrote:

This situation saddens me too... Our purpose is to promote accessible
free software to make the freedom brought by free softwares accessible
for everyone, regardless one's ability.

We will not change the name neither the domain name, because it makes
sense to us. But we could find a way to conciliate our respective
goals.
If your goal is the one stated in this first paragraph of yours, again I
don't see any disagreement about actual practices.
Glad to read it!
I hope you can
settle this controversy (on some other more appropriate forum), so that
we can all move on to more productive activities.
The only controversy is the definition of Freedom. Is accessibility a question of Freedom? No Richard answered, as it is not a question of oppression. I read the article on the FSF blog, heard this point, understand it. And I understand the FSF only focuses on this precise aspect of Freedom. A movement is free to choose the questions it will fight for, it is legitimate and I totally respect it.

But I don't share this definition, because Freedom is not only a question of avoiding repression, it is also a question of allowing people to be autonomous.

And I don't want to continue the discussion. I will not fly the debate and face it again if people think it is necessary, but I believe it is becoming fruitless. I think everyone knows all the arguments, you can share them or not, but it is not important.

The only question that remains: can we work together or not, even if we don't share this definition of Freedom? Are our goals compatible? Can we help each other?

In Liberté 0 we already decided (it is even not a question to us!) and will continue defend free software anyway.

But considering it is your "duty to fight against Liberté 0" (Richard's words) (and thus everything we defend) just because you don't like the name, will not help the free software movement, because nobody reasonable can understand such a position. A lot of people have been disappointed by these words during the Libre Software Meeting.

Actually, the decision is yours. We are open to collaborate to help promote free software for everyone, without discrimination. But we will do it freely, with or without your permission.

I am sad to know such great and talented person as Richard would prefer to waste time and energy to fight against us rather than helping promoting accessibility, but it is his choice and responsibility.

I prefer form now on doing more "productive activities" as you said Luca.

We will continue to promote Free Software anyway. Hope you will help
us to promote it for everyone.
I certainly will.  However as of now I'll feel obliged to add a
disclaimer explaining the "freedom #0" disagreement, if I refer to your
organization -- since this discussion shows that the phrase is indeed
being used in a confusing way.
We don't make any confusion, but I have no problem with a disclaimer if you feel more comfortable with it.

All contributions to improve accessibility in Free Software are welcomed. We don't fight for "Freedom #0" as an association, we fight for a digital world free and accessible to all. Thanks a lot to help promote it!
I'd have preferred to avoid this waste of time and intellectual effort.
Me too. But it was probably necessary to rise up the question of accessibility on the front scene. The worst enemy of accessibility is indifference.

And a really dangerous way of considering accessibility is to limit its definition to a desirable functionality. When you don't have choice, you are not free. Accessibility is not a functionnality, it is a societal choice.

With no hard feelings,
Amicalement,
Armony

--