Re: [Audio-video] [Liberté 0] Re: http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/ghm2

From: Armony ALTINIER
Subject: Re: [Audio-video] [Liberté 0] Re: http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/ghm2013/Samuel_Thibault_Jean-Philippe_Mengual-Freedom_0_for_everybody_really_.text
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 15:54:37 +0200

Le 19/07/2014 15:34, Quiliro Ordóñez Baca a écrit :

El 19/07/14 03:24, Armony ALTINIER escribió:

Le 19/07/2014 05:35, Quiliro Ordóñez Baca a écrit :
El 18/07/14 14:03, Armony ALTINIER escribió:
Freedom is the necessary basis for "Liberté", accessibility is the essential part to achieve "Égalité" and "Fraternité".
This resumes all that we have spoken about: freedom is not equality...it
is the right to pursue equality. The three anarchistic principles:
freedom, equality and fraternity, make a good society. But free software
alone provides only the first of the three.
Glad to read this point. Free Software alone cannot provide Equality and Fraternity without taking into account accessibility.

But accessibility is also a question of Freedom. Not in the meaning of fight against oppression (which is the primary goal of the FSF as far as I understand), but in the meaning of making people autonomous in their actions and choices.

You have all the right to have your own definitions. But please take into account that if you redefine our terms, you will hurt our advocacy. If you want to promote the use of accessibility, use a definition that will complement our definition instead of contending it.
That's exactly what we do, completing the definition, not contending it. I still offer "you" (some who are afraid of that misunderstanding) to re-read the presentation we will do on our website to make it clear for everyone.
The term "open source" was created in order to help develop better quality and to lower costs for free software. But it created the concept that free software is "gratis" because they would divert the definition of free software. Please take this into consideration before you proceed. Then both our movements can benefit.
The term open source is a good example that what is important is not the name but the discourse. Open source is a completely different name, there is no "free" in the name, but its approach is only opportunistic, not philosophic. And of course it hurts the definition of free software.

But Richard himself has often used the _expression_ "Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité" to define free softwares in conferences. We promote the same thing. The only difference is we go further because we think that Freedom is better when everybody can access it.

However hard I think, I can't see how it hurts your advocacy. We all talk about Freedom.

But saying accessibility is just a functionality is hurting our advocacy, spreading the message that developing accessible free softwares is just optional, although it's vital for people with disability that have no other choice than use accessible non-free softwares instead...

Anyway, I also explain my views and will not argue about the Freedom definition. But as Voltaire would have said, you are free to not share my views, but I will fight for you to be able to express it anyway ;) (pardon my terrible English, hope you will understand what I mean).

Thank you. We usually face character assassination when we advocate our points of view. I am glad that you will not proceed that way.
;)

Armony
--
Saludos libres,