Re: [Audio-video] http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/ghm2013/Samuel_Thibau

From: MENGUAL Jean-Philippe
Subject: Re: [Audio-video] http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/ghm2013/Samuel_Thibault_Jean-Philippe_Mengual-Freedom_0_for_everybody_really_.text
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2014 22:22:58 +0200

Everything that a program can do, that some person wants it to do, is a functionality.

I don't think here the code can do something or enables the user to do, it is just clean. And that, it's a form of accessibility. And it's the point where we can agree because I don't think a free program should be accessible by shipping functionalities; it should be accessible because its code is also clean (widgets with labels, label on objects). To sum up: accessibility=design/compatibility first, because mandatory to run any assistive functionality. And this part of the issue can be a common matter between us.

But there is no point arguing about the meaning of "functionality", because all that does is distort the meaning of what I said. In effect, you are trying to block clear communication between us. Even if an argument could prove that the word "functionality" should mean something different, it would not change my position. I would just state it with some other word.

But it is a fundamental concept actually. Because if accessibility is not a functionality but a way to do to "free" users, the campaign cannot destroy free software, only create a sensitivity.

You say:
"

We reject the idea that we should refuse to free anyone
until the day that we can free everyone.

We reject this approach too, and it's not our approach.
 We will free those we can free with whatever we have got.
Our chances of helping the disabled some day are bigger
if we strengthen our movement as much as we can."

ok. Why couldn't we have a common approach saying: Yes, your program is free
giving to the user the four fundamental freedoms against oppression by State.
But to go beyond the oppression, maximize the freedom 0 consequence and make a
program promoting freedom, equality, brotherhood (fraternity), it should be
designed to be potentially accessible by any user.

(For me, Liberty, Equality and Brotherhood are not fully satisfied without a11y and are
another way to fight oppression as in a "communities" world, less place for
oppression).

Do you agree such approach? Otherwise, if we don't have such common approach,
what danger do you identify if we say this, defending so same ideas as FSF,
with a new further dimension (very modern anyway).

Sincerely,

Sincerely,

Regards,