Re: [Audio-video] http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/ghm2013/Samuel_Thibau

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Audio-video] http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/ghm2013/Samuel_Thibault_Jean-Philippe_Mengual-Freedom_0_for_everybody_really_.text
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2014 21:41:58 -0400

    > But when we discuss this,
    > people keep making statements that equate lack of accessibility with
    > subjugating users.  It's too bad.  If you don't believe that, why say it?

    Because in a world where paying tax, getting social help, buying things,
    is governed by computers, if a technical environment is not accessible,
    the user needs help.

It seems you really DO believe that lack of accessibility
is as bad as a program that subjugates whoever uses it.

We can't work politically with anyone who says things like that.

    > If you could systematically refrain from making such statements, we
    > would have no conflict.

    I think the most important thing is having a common message, a message
    which could respect the thoughts of everyone, don't you think?

The disagreement is too deep and too important to be papered over
and disregarded.  It is fundamental.

The free software movement's message, our central point, is that a
proprietary program subjugates its users and is an injustice.  Several
of you, in this discussion, have persistently made statements that
oppose our central point.

In Colombia, the government has put computers with Windows into
libraries to try to "help" people become computer literate.  One of
the reasons cited for using Windows is that it has a convenient
proprietary screen reader, which makes it "better" for blind people.
Microsoft is subjugating the whole public in the name of the blind
minority.

Some of you have said you don't want that result.  I believe you.  But
your campaign supports that sort of outcome nonetheless.  Each time
you condemn free programs that lack accessibility, painting them as
just as bad as proprietary software, that helps corporate-dominated
states get away with choosing Windows.  We would ill serve our cause
by supporting such a campaign.

Indeed, there are statements on which you and we agree.  We may make
those statements by ourselves.

If you confront the way your rhetoric harms the free software cause,
you might then change your rhetoric in such a way that we could
support you.  Or you might not.  But at least there would be a point
in further discussion.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation