Re: [avr-chat] AVR Studio under VirtualBox, anyone?

From: Bob Paddock
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] AVR Studio under VirtualBox, anyone?
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 08:25:00 -0400

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 4:13 PM, Graham Davies <address@hidden> wrote:
> Toan Pham wrote:
>>
>> Virtualbox is very unstable.
>
> OK, well, thanks for that input.  I chose VirtualBox because it seems simple
> to use and works with WinXP Home (I feel bad enough using a Microsoft
> operating system in the first place, so at least I don't pony up the extra
> $$$ for Professional).  You can take snapshots in VirtualBox.  I have had
> none of the trouble you cite, but that doesn't mean that the reason I can't
> use AVR Studio isn't a problem in VirtualBox (four negatives in that
> sentence, but it does say what I mean).  Thanks again.

I have run Studio in VirtualBox on my Gentoo Linux box.  I found no issues in
the little I did with Studio.  I use VirtualBox extensively and have found
no stability problems.  Only thing I find annoying, and I doubt
it is specific to VirtualBox, is that when doing nightly backups you
end up backing up this huge file everyday that you used VirtualBox.
VirtualBox needs some type of delta change save.

VirtualBox is now owned by Sun and they have been making changes.