Re: [avr-chat] AVR Studio under VirtualBox, anyone?

From: Vincent Trouilliez
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] AVR Studio under VirtualBox, anyone?
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 21:11:52 +0100

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 15:48:48 -0400
"Graham Davies" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hmm.  So, maybe I should try Linux as the host operating system, not
> Windows.

Yeah, the only way to go ! ;-)
I have had Linux as the main OS and kept Win XP "just in case".
After 7 years, retrospectively, I found I never really had to start
XP ! So it's doable ;-)

> With a bit of foresight, I actually left two physical partitions
> empty on my boot drive to contain a Linux filesystem and swap.  I just need
> to find the time and the courage to do the installation (courage because I
> don't want to lose the ability to boot my Windows installations).

Installing it takes 15 minutes door to door, no drivers to install, and
the AVR tool-chain will take only a few clicks in the package manager
to install it. As for dual-booting, during the installation, Linux will
automatically detect Windows. When you start the computer you will get a
menu offering to start either WinXP or Linux.
Well I am using Ubuntu and it just works, but I assume the other two
mainstream distro (RedHat & Suse) are equally practical.

Go for it Graham ;-)

--
Vince