Re: [avr-chat] Dragon: mega slow at dumping Flash, normal ?

From: Vincent Trouilliez
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Dragon: mega slow at dumping Flash, normal ?
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:27:23 +0200

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 23:28:14 -0500
David Kelly <address@hidden> wrote:

> I don't remember how to use Makefiles from within AVR Studio but if
> you install WinAVR in your virtual XP machine then if you have access
> to your source files it should be easy to add them to an AVR Studio
> project, rebuild in Studio, then launch the Studio's debugger.

Hi David,

I installed WinAVR and could create a project from Studio and compile
it and upload it to the Dragon just fine (though an order of
magnitude slower than what the ISP clock of 4MHz should achieve), but I
don't understand how the debugger would help ? When I start it it tried
to use the target's JTAG debugger (even though I am using ISP not
JTAG), and I don't see any 'terminal' mode to compare with avrdude's..
where is it ?

Oh David, since you are on *nix too, and have Dragon(s!), could you
please do the same test as me (download 1024 bytes from Flash using
avrdude's terminal mode) and time how long it takes ? Pleaaase...
should take you only a few seconds of your time and would tell me if my
Dragon is defective or not. This way I can narrow down the problems to
either a design problem from Atmel in their Dragon (poor dumping speed
in ISP mode), or an implementation problem in avrdude's Dragon
interface.

Thaaaaaank you in advance... :-)

--
Vince