Re: [avr-chat] Dragon: mega slow at dumping Flash, normal ?

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Dragon: mega slow at dumping Flash, normal ?
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 11:40:37 -0500

On Jun 26, 2009, at 8:27 AM, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:

I installed WinAVR and could create a project from Studio and compile
it and upload it to the Dragon just fine (though an order of
magnitude slower than what the ISP clock of 4MHz should achieve), but I don't understand how the debugger would help ? When I start it it tried
to use the target's JTAG debugger (even though I am using ISP not
JTAG), and I don't see any 'terminal' mode to compare with avrdude's..
where is it ?

I don't know. Believe the Atmel tools have CLI interfaces as well as GUI but haven't used the CLI.

As for the debugger, I configure for JTAG and upload/debug from that interface only.

Oh David, since you are on *nix too, and have Dragon(s!), could you
please do the same test as me (download 1024 bytes from Flash using
avrdude's terminal mode) and time how long it takes ? Pleaaase...
should take you only a few seconds of your time and would tell me if my
Dragon is defective or not. This way I can narrow down the problems to
either a design problem from Atmel in their Dragon (poor dumping speed
in ISP mode), or an implementation problem in avrdude's Dragon
interface.

At the moment none of my AVR gear is set up. Have spent the past several months in address@hidden& Visual Studio 2008 Express. Actually VS isn't all that bad but for the Windows part. Have remained sane by using the C++ compiler in C mode, with a CLI on my application. :-)

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden