Re: [avr-chat] Do people like the XMEGA?

From: Thomas D. Dean
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Do people like the XMEGA?
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 21:41:22 -0800

On 02/14/13 19:44, Rick Mann wrote:
> Hi. I'm about to start a new design and I'm looking for lots of GPIO, PWM, and USB. It seems the XMEGA parts might fit the bill. I've used lots of different MEGA parts, but these are new to me.
>
> Reading through Atmel's "Getting Started with XMEGA" document (http://www.atmel.com/Images/doc8169.pdf), it seems like an awesome chip (one that could benefit from a highly platform-dependent small RTOS).
>
> I wonder if anyone has had any negative experiences with them? Is GCC support good enough for these parts? How about tools like avrdude?
>
> Thanks!

I use the xmega128A1 with avr-gcc, avrdude and avr-libc. I use the AVR ISP MkII. No problems, now.

The datasheet is good.  But, read it several times, carefully.

I recommend reading the iox128a1.h, or whatever is applicable, several times, carefully. The light will come on and the xmega becomes easy to use.

A tiny OS, avrx2.6g works on the xmega with some minor changes, mostly register names.

Tom Dean