bongo-devel

Re: [bongo-devel] Re: Marks

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] Re: Marks
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 15:03:03 +0100

address@hidden (Daniel Jensen) writes:

> Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> It would be nice to have some way of getting back the recent
>> set of marks.  If we had that, I think we could make it the
>> default behavior to unmark automatically.
>>
>> Are you familiar with any other marking facilities?  How do
>> they deal with this?  We should probably do what they do.
>
> I think this is something worth having.  A simple method
> is something like `C-u U', restore the markers that `U'
> stashed away earlier.

Yes, that would work.

> Or we could do it the Gnus way with a stack for saving
> sets of marks.

Does _that_ have any use cases?

That's a serious question, not least because I sort of feel
like I'm missing out on obscure Gnus features. :-)

> Dired does not remove the marks, I think.  Gnus does, but
> as mentioned it can save marks.

Okay.  I intuitively think it makes more sense for Dired to
retain the marks that it does for Bongo.  I don't have any
intuition about Gnus, because I can't really imagine what
people use marks in Gnus for.

> Looking at Gnus, I see another marking command I'd like
> for Bongo to have: invert marks.

`* i'?

>>> It's starting to annoy me that hidden tracks are ignored. Do you think
>>> you can install the fix I had in my prototype, at least for a
>>> temporary solution? It was in two parts; the redisplay hack, and
>>> letting mark iterators step through invisible text. Maybe even try the
>>> redisplay hack directly in `bongo-redisplay-line', it might fix other
>>> problems for us.
>>
>> I installed a bunch of marking-related invisibility bug fixes.
>
> Thanks, this fixes a few things.
>
> It still needs the redisplay hack I talked about, or something else
> that fixes this bug. Try unmarking hidden tracks and you'll see
> strange things happen! This would happen when marking as well, if
> marking hidden tracks were possible.

I can't reproduce this.  Unmarking hidden tracks seems to
work just fine here.  I mark some tracks, collapse the section,
unmark all tracks, expand the section, and everything looks fine.

Marking hidden tracks using `% m' does not work, as you say,
but I don't know if that's a bug or a feature.

Probably a bug, but we could make it customizable.

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>