Re: new compile command doesn't coalesce errors on the same line

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: new compile command doesn't coalesce errors on the same line
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 00:24:30 -0500

    *Compilation motion commands skip visited locations if this is t.
    A location is considered visited if you've already jumped there.  It doesn't
    matter if this happened from a different message.  After you start a new
    compilation, all locations will again be initially considered unvisited.

The condition is clear now.  I am not sure what "Compilation motion
commands" are or what "skip" means.  Could you explain?

What will happen if I move up in the compilation buffer and type RET
to revisit an error I already saw?  Will it be "skipped"?

What if I then type C-x `?  Will it got to the following error,
or will it move down until it finds an error I have not yet visited?

    The example I cited

    location a: ... location b
    location a: more bla about a

    is not contrived.  I've seen this frequently at work.  The old compile
simply
    ignored location b.  Now it is found and breaks immediate contiguousness.

I see what you mean.  I don't have an opinion about it.
I won't say this is a bad change.