Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 19:19:17 +0300

> Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 08:43:19 +0200
> From: Dani Moncayo <address@hidden>
> Cc: Emacs development discussions <address@hidden>
>
> >> Indeed, I didn't have pkg-config installed, sorry (I thought that the
> >> packages auto-installed by mingw-get were enough already).
> >
> > pkg-config is not a MinGW package, so mingw-get knows nothing about
> > it.
>
> Do you mean that "pkg-config" is a MSYS package (as opposed to being a
> MinGW package)?

No, I mean that it's neither MinGW nor MSYS.  It's a 3rd-party Windows
port.  So mingw-get doesn't support it, as it doesn't support, for
example, my ports.

> Manually installing a package consists of just expanding the
> compressed file under a suitable directory.  But then, how can someone
> remove (or replace with a newer version) one package installed in such
> way?

I never needed to uninstall a package; if I did, I'd probably make a
list of files from its zip listing, and then prepare a script that
would remove all the files in the list, except *.dll files and
share/info/dir.

To install a newer version, just unzip it.  I normally do it
interactively, to be able to decide individually whether to overwrite
each file (important especially for DLLs and info/dir again), but you
can also say "unzip -o" and overwrite them all.

> How can someone make a binary distribution of Emacs for Windows, using
> the new MSYS build system?

  make install prefix=WHEREVER

where WHEREVER doesn't exist, and then go to WHEREVER and create an
archive from the entire tree starting at it.