Re: Small improvements to ruby-mode

From: Bozhidar Batsov
Subject: Re: Small improvements to ruby-mode
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 15:23:57 +0300

On 6 July 2013 12:37, Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> wrote:
On 06.07.2013 9:31, Bozhidar Batsov wrote:
    We should contact Kyle, then, for the copyright assignment. Or,
    again, patches welcome. :)

I guess it'd be best of Stefan approached him?

Not necessarily. IME, the hard part is to get the author to agree to this commitment.

Hopefully most authors are delighted by the prospect of their work getting into Emacs :)

A bold yellowish face seems like a nice option to me. Will make it clear
that !orax is not actually lorax for instance. Maybe it should simply
derive from the keyword face?

I don't think it should: in the default theme, purple negation char would look odd.

 Fair point.

> On a related note - often && and || are
highlighted as keywords. Maybe ruby-mode should do the same for
consistency with `and` and `or`?

I don't think I've ever seen that (e.g. python-mode and coffee-mode don't). These are not particularly different from other operators, and I don't think we should highlight them all.

Well, they are different in a way - they have different argument evaluation strategies and cannot be overridden.  I don't know about other major modes, but I seem to recall they were highlighted in SublimeText, RubyMine, etc. Don't think that this is something of particular importance, just sharing my thoughts.