Re: Small improvements to ruby-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Small improvements to ruby-mode
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 05:22:00 -0400

> a. Ruby trunk has some objectionable code, which I believe we shouldn't
> merge, and noone seems to be interested in discussing or reverting it:
> http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/6854

"deep-indent", huh?  I don't give it a name in SMIE, but I use the
"hanging-p" name for the test to choose between doing it or not (which
seems to be pretty much the same test you use in the current
ruby-mode.el).

> b. They've had a bug about removing ruby-mode.el for months now:
> http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/6823 Again, no movement there.

Maybe making the trunk code work in 23.4 (for example) would help
convince people to drop it from ruby-lang.  I encourage people to post
a "vote to remove as well" to this bug-tracker.

> c. No ELPA repositories are tracking Ruby trunk anymore.  We just have
> some older versions uploaded to Marmalade and Tromey's archive a while
> back.

That's good.  So we should indeed upload a newer version (or better
yet, remove those out dated versions).

        Stefan