Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2016 09:24:46 -0800

Daniel Colascione wrote:
I'd appreciate fixing the
conservative GC problem I highlighted a few days ago before it becomes a
real bug.

Although I'm not as worried about that prospect as you are, I would also appreciate a fix for the problem, so long as it doesn't hurt performance in the common case where the fix isn't needed. As I understand it, you want the the conservative object scanner to count any pointer to somewhere in (or just past the end of) an object, as opposed to counting only pointers to the start of the object. That would be a reasonable thing to add, perhaps conditionally compiled so that it doesn't hurt performance on typical architectures today.