Gnome UK (was: Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Proposal] Mailing lists)

From: Alex Hudson
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:50:54 +0100

On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 10:49, Brian Teeman wrote:
> For the Birmingham show a space was booked and no-one turned up and for
> the recent London show no response to the invitation to exhibit was ever
> received.
>
> At both of these Expos there were many people who were only too willing to
> offer lifts, loan of equipment etc. They only had to be asked.
>
> As the organiser of the .Org Village I arranged for the loan of PCs, a
> projector, poster printing and leaflet printing for many of the
> participants.

I don't think Telsa's point was necessarily about being excluded; in
fact, I'm fairly sure it's not. I'm not sure to what extent Gnome UK
feel like a community - the mailing list thing Rama was talking about
seemed to directly address the point of coalescing around a single
point, so maybe it's much more a kind of private CC: thing - but the
problem with organising something is always finding a way into a group;
a point of contact. I think Telsa is saying that is basically missing.

I too would love to see Gnome at Expo; I'm a very happy 2.4 user at the
moment and I think the Gnome project has sufficient interesting stuff in
the works that you could do something really different to the other
projects around.

Actually, I'm quite pleased that Telsa has posted because we (AFFS)
ought to be in contact with people like the UK Gnome devs - and AFFS
exists to aid people like this whereever possible; we don't just exist
to be. If there are things AFFS can do to get projects like this to
Expo, then we ought to be doing it.