Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Proposal] Mailing lists

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Date: 23 Oct 2003 16:44:26 +0100

On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 12:51, MJ Ray wrote:
> On 2003-10-23 12:48:13 +0100 Ramanan Selvaratnam <address@hidden>
> wrote:

> > In the case of l10n with non western languages I am aware of cases of
> > enthusiastic expatriates who live in the UK, interacting with the
> > Unicode consortium on behalf of their languages' digital futures.
>
> Is there any catalogue of these groups?  If not, we should certainly
> try to create one.

As 'groups' they work together on a global scale but individually many
live here, some academically involved with various universities. THey
may be influenced as 'individuals'.

I have not compiled a list as such but could explore my records at some
point. I know of two or three such key individuals but must ask them
first to see whether want to be listed.

This would be useful if someone wants to do it but would be too big a
job for *us*, now IMHO. I will be happy to continue discussing this
offlist though.

What would be a good approach is to showcase GNU/Linux or any free
platform to that matter as a layered system where the l10n is handled at
toolkit level (GTK/Qt) and they are mature. Many, even experts at
related field do not consider this as they are used to a 'black box'
with no freedom to shape it.

When how the freedom can be harnessed to specific needs is shown
directly targetted at grassroot level end users they themselves will do
the publicity for us at the relevant respective decision making
groups/bodies. This way anyone more interested on development can be put
in touch with their respective l10n teams at GNOME.

Again this too can be a lot of work for two or three people to develop
and probably best to be considered when there is sufficient interest or
with something like GNOME-UK.

Ramanan