Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Proposal] Mailing lists

From: Brian Teeman
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:43:04 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, MJ Ray wrote:

> On 2003-10-23 13:46:12 +0100 Brian Teeman <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Personally I would rather that the space inside the stand is reserved
> > for
> > exhibitors only, especially from a security point of view.
>
> That is a valid view, but I think it's unusual and would cause
> problems. Very few exhibitors do not invite people onto their stands.

Ah yes but as the stand was designed for people not to enter the stand
space exhibitors expected this space to be closed, They were therefore not
as security conscious as they might have been otherwise.

I did experiment with a stand made up of indiviual Counters for each
exhibitor but this would increase the amount of floorspace ( and therefore
the cost) considerably

> > From the expo feedback I have had from all the exhibitors in the .Org
> > village I'm afraid that you are in a minority of one in wanting to
> > hold
> > meetings in the stand
>
> Experiences from other shows suggest that "birds of feather" meetings
> are normally a popular attraction. I know several even took place at
> NEC, stealing some of the copious free space on and around the .org
> stand. There are 20 groups listed, but I don't think all were there,
> so over 5% of us have mentioned meetings without being asked ;-) Yes,
> still a minority, but maybe something worth investigating.

It is worth investigating but I am still to be convinced that the best
place to hold such meetings is on the stand.

> >> what it's worth, I'd like to see future versions include the
> >> possibility to
> >> talk to people at the stand without blocking the display
> > I am open to any suggestions as to how this can be achieved.
>
> Access to the stand floor space for visitors is the only thing I can
> think of, but maybe someone has an innovative solution?

Maybe I am being thick but I fail to see how this would help

> >> At Olympia, I seemed to have trouble with background noise, too.
>
> Clarification: just ambient noise. Olympia seemed to echo like crazy
> compared to the NEC. Not something easy to fix with the stand design,
> I suspect.

I suspect that it is more to do with the building design than the stand
design. Please remember that there were almost double the number of
visitors each day than at the NEC

Brian