Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Proposal] Mailing lists

From: MJ Ray
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:51:33 +0100

On 2003-10-23 12:48:13 +0100 Ramanan Selvaratnam <address@hidden> wrote:
Now, I do not see why we should not help GNOME-UK set up stalls etc as
outlined below?

Manpower and space. We shared with GNU and AFSP at the expo both to get some extra help and to help them, as I don't think they were offered stand space of their own. I have also not helped GNUstep with these shows because I am helping AFFS. If GNOME-UK can help give people, that's the same as with the other orgs, so I don't see why not. We will need to get extra stand space. We would have been very cramped at Olympia if we hadn't been able to take over an unoccupied stand.

Otherwise no one might notice and space in .Org villages also look
scarce.

It certainly seemed to be, but I'm not sure why. I think the central pillar areas created a lot of dead space, but weren't enough to hold useful meetings in. It would be good if we could have a more open stand design (it really felt "them and us" this time) and some security features (stick things to the floor and let us tie to the things?) next time, but beggars can't be choosers.

At the (GNU)Linux Expo there was talk of a community based IT solutions
exhibition in Brighton, in spring.

Does anyone have details of this?

In the case of l10n with non western languages I am aware of cases of enthusiastic expatriates who live in the UK, interacting with the
Unicode consortium on behalf of their languages' digital futures.

Is there any catalogue of these groups? If not, we should certainly try to create one.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden