Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Proposal] Mailing lists

From: Brian Teeman
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 13:46:12 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, MJ Ray wrote:

> > AFAIK you are the only person who wanted the "dead space" to be
> > larger but
>
> Rather, I believe I suggested using the centre space for birds of
> feather meetings instead of having any dead space. When you are trying
> to get the most use from an expensive area, it seems a shame to have
> unproductive space. I think we had at least two meetings in the cafe
> area and two meetings in the pub over the road. That's another reason
> why we invited more people onto the stand, to help cover for those.

Personally I would rather that the space inside the stand is reserved for
exhibitors only, especially from a security point of view.

>From the expo feedback I have had from all the exhibitors in the .Org
village I'm afraid that you are in a minority of one in wanting to hold
meetings in the stand

> > feel free to design the village yourself and fit in 19 exhibitors in
> > that
> > space, taking into account the wishes and requirements of all the
> > exhibitors.
>
> I think I'd leave that to stand builders.

Thats is what I would have preferred but they are builders only. I had to
do all the deisgn work etc

> You seem to be taking something personally. If I said anything to
> offend, please accept my apologies. That was not my intention.

Its not that I am taking it personally. I just wanted to correct a few
things.

> what it's worth, I'd like to see future versions include the
> possibility to talk to people at the stand without blocking the
> display

I am open to any suggestions as to how this can be achieved.

<tongue in cheek>
The only way that I am aware of is to have a strict
limit on the number of people who can approach a stand at any time.
</tongue>

> and easier access for wheelchair users.

This is the constant problem with exhibitions. I have spoken to the
exhibition organisers regarding this but I am really not sure what can be
done to satisfy everyone on this. In particualr I have complained about
the number of large corporate stands that were wheelchair inaccesible.

> At Olympia, I seemed
> to have trouble with background noise, too.

IF that was noise from other exhibitors and their presentations then in
future you should contact the organisers office as there are strict rules
on the amount of noise each stand is allowed to generate.

If it was noise from other people then ...

Regards

Brian