Re: [Fsfe-uk] Activity

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Activity
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 10:25:15 +0000

Hey John,

John¹ wrote:
there are two points that I would make,
a) I am still paying a membership subscription, and therefore presumably still a member.

Well, not really - we stopped taking membership subscriptions a while ago. The problem with people having standing orders / direct debits was that we were unable to stop them, and we didn't always have up-to-date contact information - most should have been asked to stop. I think we're in the situation that we need to try again to contact people such as yourself, and refund subscriptions where possible, which isn't ideal but is about the best we can do. There are only a handful of people in this situation (five, I think, but don't quote me on that).

b) That the forgoing being the case, I would have thought that it should be a priority of the remaining members to disburse what what ever "nest egg" there is to a suitable body, I would suggest the FSFE.

It's really a job for the members of the last committee rather than the members of the org, but yes - the funds have to go to a body with the same aims, and FSF/E is probably the only game in town at the moment. That doesn't need to be the case, but that's certainly the default.