Re: [glob2-devel] Language demands

From: Bo Lorentsen
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Language demands
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:19:35 +0200

Martin Voelkle wrote:

SGSL now does a mixture of a and b. Normally, there is cooperative
multitasking, but if the thread runs too long without waiting, it is
'preempted' after a number of VM instructions.
The instruction counter limitation !

It is perfectly possible to avoid this if you get rid of preemption.
Hmm, by having a calle like :

void executeSome( Context &, unsigned nNumOfInstuctions )

The only problem is when the script start calling functions (even TEA functions) as this will bemand a preemtion to preserve the stack (I use the call stack for TEA calls too). I quess SGSL have the same problem.

If you handle your stack yourself, you can do the switch without any
longjump.
I know, all can be done in ASM, but that is not portable at ALL :-)

This sounds exactly like b, but you're using thread support just to
emulate longjump. I'm not sure it will be easier do debug than b.
You may be right, other than linux will generate a core dump for the offending thread, and thay may be more easy to analyze, but nothing beats single threads regarding debugging and profiling !

No, you're right. Remember that whatever the model you chose, you need
to be able to save the execution state in a file and resume it.
I am aware of this, my only concern is the form, but I take that when I start impl. it :-)

LUA's license said "Altered source versions must be plainly marked as
such, and must not be misrepresented as being the original package."
which is not what you intend to use. See
http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaLicense for discussion about this. The main
problem with such statements is that they are incompatible with the GPL.
I just want to merge the language comment from the LUA licens and LGPL. I like everyone to be able to use and expand TEA (types and functions) in all kinds of relations, also as static linking to a commercial program. But the language core must stay open, and remain under LGPL.

If i LGPL it, glob2 can use and link with it as it/we please, but I will not be able to use static linking at my current job, and that is plain silly (I could also use dual license, but that is just another ogly idea).

What you can do is separate the language specification form your
reference implementation. Protect the specification in some way (but
keep it free) and put the implementation under a GPL-compatible license.
I don't quite follow your in this ?

It's good to see someone doing the right things.
Hope I am doing the right thing too :-)

/BL