Re: [glob2-devel] Language demands

From: Martin Voelkle
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Language demands
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:14:37 +0200

Since NCT doesn't answer and I think I can answer these...

> >One of the required feature to be able to use tea in glob2 is that script
> >execution has to be deterministic, so I'm afraid that (c) fail regarding
> > this requirement. In general, there is two things to consider:
> >1) being able to have a wait instruction, that check some condition and on
> >false switch to another thread. This condition should be rechecked every
> >certain time.
>
> Check per time is hard but check per "instruction" are possible. And as
> far as I can see SGSL use the "per tick" concept.

I'm sure he meant per game step (or tick), since that's how SGSL does it.

> Per time demands some king of timer interrupt, multi thread setup the
> other counts only executed instructions, and are therfor more simple.

The worst thing with per time is that you get non-deterministic.

> >2) begin able to set a predefined maximum instruction count and then skip
> > to the next thread.
> >Point 1) is mandatory. Point 2) is only required if we want to be safe
> >regarding to broken scripts.
>
> You are thinking about forever loops in 2) ?

I'm sure that's what he meant. Previously, SGSL was executing one instruction
per step. This didn't allow you to do simultaneous things, they had to happen
one per step.

Martin