Re: [glob2-devel] Universe Background, political correctness

From: Matthew Marshall
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Universe Background, political correctness
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 23:41:48 -0300

On Sat 25 Feb 2006 08:02, Stéphane Magnenat wrote:
> I also think there is no
> use to link glob2 to any humanity. But I also like this story, it is quite
> fun and its mix of Starcraft, Hyperion and real world politics makes it
> funny. Nevertheless, as funny as it can be, it does not fit glob2's
> universe ambiance.

Personally, I like how glob2's background story already is: absent.

There is no explanation for why the trees are pink, how anyone could call
those circles 'wheat', or even what the globules, in fact, /are/.  This is
all left up to the player.  The player is free to explain (or not explain)
these phenomenons with their own imaginations.  One player sees it as another
dimension.  Another sees it as some alien lifeform.  Or, perhaps a scientific
experiment.  Or even bubblegum overrunning a candy store.  Or perhaps the
player simply accepts that it is, and thinks no more of it.

To me, glob2 has an entirely different feeling than any other game, and I
think this is why.  I am able to interpret what I am seeing how _I_ want to
do so.  I'm not restricted to the view of someone else.  (however
entertaining they may be.)

Glob2 seems to have a certain sense of 'wonder' around it.  Provide 'official'
answers to the questions, and you remove the wonder.  I think this is why
Slann's story doesn't "fit glob2's universe ambiance."  I think this is why
no story ever will.

Although, I do realise that this makes it incredibly difficult to make a
campain :D

Just my 2 cents...

MWM