Re: [glob2-devel] Universe Background, political correctness

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Universe Background, political correctness
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 21:51:07 +0100

> I don't think a wiki page of age old ideas is a good reason not to
> join the project.

That does not depend on how old the page is, but on what is on it and
how much it appears to be connected to your opinion.

> And i agree that humans should not be a part of
> modern globulation 2. Although the globules are certainly human-like,
> what with the schools, inns and racetracks everything else.

Sounds reasonable, though as far as I know there are other animals that
prefer special areas for eating and for training several procedures.
But that should not stop you from seeing globs as human-like creatures.

> So I made
> my background to explain why globules have some relation to humans. My
> idea si that humans created globs, but in some friek accident, a bunch
> of globs where lost. Humans killed themselves over the next 30
> thousand years, but the globs lived on!

If we want our world to be connected to globulation 2 this seems to be a
good way to do it.

One reason for me to oppose that connection is the strange geometry
of the world of globulation 2.
Each map is a topological torus.
And walking diagonal is as fast as up or down - though the visual
distance is about 1.4 time as long.  (sorry, I am mathematician)

I don't think this geometry could start a story that ordinary people enjoy.
I therefore favor to say that this world simply has other natural laws
than ours and ignore this topic.
And this works with every story-specific difficulty that might come up.
But only if we do not connect globs to our world.

> Anyway, I'm very interested to know how GA could be applied to
> globulation 2, being a key AI programmer myself.

There had been someone a year ago who wanted to solve the ordinary tasks
of the globules by GA.  That is finding a resource and bring it to its
destination and so on.  I cannot say who that was or if that is
reasonable.  I touched GA just very briefly.  But I definitively
want to get further into it.  It seems like I will be working mainly
on evolution in the years to come.  And as someone who enjoys working
between disciplines I am sure that I will spend quite some time on GA.

I'll keep in mind that you are interested in an GA approach to glob2.
Thanks.
--
Kai Antweiler