Re: Fwd: [Gnash-dev] FLTK GUI

From: Tonko Juricic
Subject: Re: Fwd: [Gnash-dev] FLTK GUI
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 16:43:06 -0500

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 3:22 AM, Benjamin Wolsey <address@hidden> wrote:
> If freetype is usable on windows, do we need this bug, or the approach
> described in it: https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?17886 ?

If I try run that file I don't see the changing words in the second
row. Everything else looks the same in 'my' gnash and in IE Flash. The
fact is that I cheated to get things to compile and link, delegating
the issues for later testing and cleanup. For example, in
gnashconfig.h I have this :
#define DEFAULT_FONTFILE "file.fnt"
and this hard-coded font file doesn't really exist on my machine.

I have read discussion related to this bug and am a bit undecided how
much time and effort do we want to spend on this. Maxim (author of
AGG) has added the support for True Type Fonts on Windows (lacking
hints support, of course) so, in principle, we can support device
fonts on Windows platform. There is a way, never really well
documented and burried somewhere in the history of Windows OS, to
identify one font as the default.

But unless somebody who is really deep into this font stuff gives some
good arguments, I don't see why not just add some hard-coded free type
font file (feel free to suggest which one and from where) and
distribute it along with Win32 version of Gnash, to be found in the
same directory where gnash itself is to be located. The same would
apply to plugin gnash MSVC version, to be created soon for FireFox.