Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:17:39 -0700

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 11:04:08PM -0700, Davide Libenzi wrote:

> It'll work when tricks are applied (not recognize untagged thingies). But
> at that point why would I need tagline at all ? I'll never use the tag-line:
> feature in my sources. Look, is like saying that you want to eat some
> pineapple. You can either buy a pineapple cake (tagline) and throw away
> tha cake (tag-line: feature) or you can just buy the pineapple (explicit).

I don't understand.  These two things aren't related.  Assuming that you
mean the pineapple is the file tag, you have one of two places you can
store it, either in the file, or in an explicit tag.  With tagline, and
unrecognized untagged things (which is not a trick, just new), a file
tag can be in one of two places:

  - in an external tag, added with tla add.
  - in an arch-tag: line in the file itself.

Otherwise, there isn't any significant difference between these.
However, when the tag is inside the file, it makes lots of other
operations more convenient.

Tagline isn't pineapple cake, your choices are pineapple in a box, or in
a can.  Either way, you just get pineapple.

Dave