Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Davide Libenzi
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:51:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Mark A. Flacy wrote:

> Davide>
> Davide> But at that point why would I need tagline at all ? I'll never use
> Davide> the tag-line: feature in my sources.
>
> Why do you say "never?" Is this a Feng Shui type of thing?  The exquisite
> poetry of your source code will be contaminated beyond all repair by the
> addition of a one-line comment at the end of the file?
>
> I'm really curious; you're not the only one that's made a similar stand and
> I just don't understand it.

There're, from my *very personal* point of view, a few things. It pollute
my sources (if every tool that I use to manipulate my files pretend to add
something it'll get nasty). It is not transparent (why should I care about
adding a tag-line: inside my files, the tool should be able to do the
right thing w/out hooking on my data). It is not simmetric from an
implementation point of view (how do you tag-line: binary files ?).

- Davide