Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Davide Libenzi
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:28:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, David Brown wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 11:04:08PM -0700, Davide Libenzi wrote:
>
> > It'll work when tricks are applied (not recognize untagged thingies). But
> > at that point why would I need tagline at all ? I'll never use the tag-line:
> > feature in my sources. Look, is like saying that you want to eat some
> > pineapple. You can either buy a pineapple cake (tagline) and throw away
> > tha cake (tag-line: feature) or you can just buy the pineapple (explicit).
>
> I don't understand.  These two things aren't related.  Assuming that you
> mean the pineapple is the file tag, you have one of two places you can
> store it, either in the file, or in an explicit tag.  With tagline, and
> unrecognized untagged things (which is not a trick, just new), a file
> tag can be in one of two places:
>
>   - in an external tag, added with tla add.
>   - in an arch-tag: line in the file itself.
>
> Otherwise, there isn't any significant difference between these.
> However, when the tag is inside the file, it makes lots of other
> operations more convenient.
>
> Tagline isn't pineapple cake, your choices are pineapple in a box, or in
> a can.  Either way, you just get pineapple.

This is getting philosophical more than practical. We all agree that
tagline+trick is same as explicit, isn't it ? Yes, both obtain what I
want. Now, I can choose tagline and edit the =tagging-method file, or I
can choose explicit directly. I'll stick with explicit. You are welcome to
translate explicit to tagline+file_edit if you like.

- Davide