[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Should "baz diff" provide a summary at the beginnin

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Should "baz diff" provide a summary at the beginning? (Re: tla changes vs. baz status)
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:16:47 +0900

On 6/16/05, Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:
> That sounds OK to me; then the two could be exactly the same except that
> "changes" would default to --summary, and could be implemented as a
> wrapper command around "diff" (by adding "--summary" to the args unless
> --diffs was specified).

Just to be a bit more explicit: though it's of course good for the two
commands to behave consistently, and for "changes" to be implemented
as a mere wrapper around "diff", changes still shouldn't be an _alias_
for diff.  It's just as annoying to type "diff --summary" as it is
"changes --diffs" -- and if anything I expect the "summary only"
variant is used more often ("status" as it stands seems like a bit too
much of a weird mutant).

It would also seem kind of absurd to have "changes" exist in baz but
behave in a dramatically different manner than in tla.

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.