[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Should "baz diff" provide a summary at the beginnin

From: Matthieu Moy
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Should "baz diff" provide a summary at the beginning? (Re: tla changes vs. baz status)
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:56:46 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> tla sometimes gets this right ("changes"), and sometimes not
> ("show-changeset");

I think the problem goes far beyond tla changes Vs baz status: We
really need a unified way to represent changesets (baz status not only
displays changesets, but also information like conflicts and tree-lint
warnings, so, by "changeset", I mean here "changeset and potentially
additional information"). One compact and therefore incomplete, and
one which is just a serialization of a changeset, with bidirectional
conversions.

In tla, depending on the command, you get "-" or "--" for metadata
changes, "changes" and "show-changeset" are completely
inconsistant, ... Up to now, baz fails to make the situation really
better.

Actually, the outputs of tla and baz are mainly lists of revisions and
list of files with some information attached on it. I've worked on
revision lists unification (now merged in baz 1.5). I think the same
kind of unification needs to be done for list of files.

I suggest something like this:

1st column is the type of change:
 M: Modified